Washburn University's Department of Mathematics invites applications for the position of a Mathematics Success Coach position beginning August 2019. This position is a full-time (40-hour work-week) 9-month appointment, with the possibility of additional compensation for summer work. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Washburn University is dedicated to the highest level of instruction.
General Statement of Duties:
The Math Learning Lab is a drop-in tutoring center at Washburn University. The Mathematics Success Coach will assist students in the Lab with homework, computerized lessons/assessments, and exam preparation for developmental and beginning college-level mathematics. The Coach will oversee student study plans in concert with course instructors for a variety of mathematic classes. The Coach may also teach developmental math courses as needed. Responsibilities include tutoring students in entry-level algebra and quantitative reasoning courses, and working closely with course instructors, tutors, student supplemental instructors and academic advisors. In addition, the Coach will help track and report student progress. The Math Coach works with Math Department Faculty and the Title III Grant Team.
· Oversee student study plans in concert with course instructors for a variety of mathematic classes.
· Maintain an appointment calendar to meet regularly with students needing prescribed assistance.
· Tutor and assist in the Mathematics Laboratory.
· Work with student tutors and supplemental instructors.
· Assist with tracking and reporting student progress.
· Administer exams to students.
· Update course instructors regularly on student study plan progress.
· Make appropriate referrals to student support services.
· Available to work in the Math Learning Lab some evening and/or weekend hours.
· May teach developmental math courses, as needed.
· Works in conjunction with Math Department Faculty and the Title III Grant Team.
· Bachelor's degree in mathematics or related field.
· Experience teaching or tutoring mathematics at the high school or college level.
· Demonstrated experience in math content, including developmental math, quantitative reasoning, and college algebra.
· Evidence of working effectively with diverse populations and students with varying levels of academic preparation.
· Master's degree in mathematics or related field.
· Experience administering a tutoring program or training tutors.
· Experience using online homework systems such as Pearson's MyMathLab and Hawkes Learning System.
Application review will begin May 17, 2019, and continue until the position is filled. Please send letter of application, current c.v./resume, evidence/description of demonstrated success in teaching or tutoring mathematics, copies of undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) transcripts and contact information for three professional references, at least one of whom can address teaching success, to: Math Coach Search Committee, College of Arts & Sciences, Washburn University, 1700 SW College Avenue, Topeka, KS 66621. Electronic submission of applications should be directed to email@example.com with search committee in the subject line. (Do not send additional materials until requested.) The successful candidate will be required to submit to a background check prior to hire.