SUMMARY: The University Staff Account supports the CFO and other Staff Accountant in carrying out the responsibilities of the Finance / Accounting Department. The incumbent maintains and controls the General Ledger accounts and business transactions of the University, applying the Generally Accepted Accounting principles (GAAP) that includes analytical work and thorough review of financial records. Additionally, this role will relieve the CFO of certain responsibilities that will allow her to spend a greater portion of her time on Financial Statement preparation and analysis, Budget and Variance issues, Forecasting, policies and procedures etc.
- Prepares consolidated internal and external financial statements by gathering and analyzing information from the general ledger system and from other colleges.
- Analyzes information and options by developing spreadsheet reports; verifying information.
- Prepares general ledger entries by maintaining records and files; reconciling accounts.
- Prepares payments by accruing expenses; assigning account numbers; requesting disbursements; reconciling accounts.
- Develops and implements accounting procedures by analyzing current procedures; recommending changes.
- Answers accounting and financial questions by researching and interpreting data.
- Provides accounting support for mergers and acquisitions by reviewing financial information; converting data to general ledger system; obtaining supplementary information for preparing financial statements.
- Protects organization's value by keeping information confidential.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Accomplishes accounting and organization mission by completing related results as needed.
- Maintain the Fixed Asset and associated depreciation schedules in Great Plains Software System and in QuickBooks; provide monthly detail to the other Staff Accountant for General Journal entries; insure proper recording of new purchases and disposals.
- Prepare mailings and priority shipments for the Finance/Accounting Department.
- Prepare labels and maintain files as needed within the department.
- Prepare correspondence as needed within the department.
- Process tenants’ rent payments, send out monthly invoices and statements using QuickBooks and other real estate projects as needed.
- Assist the CFO with financial reports for the real estate entity
- Assist the CFO in tracking and maintaining company insurance policies (except Employee Benefits, which are maintained by the HR Department).
- Assist the CFO with financial reports development for the University and the colleges.
- Work with CFO and Accreditation team in all aspects of functions and activities including, but not limited to gathering & presenting data relevant to demonstration of compliance with accreditation standards.
- Collate Student and faculty research activities, publications, grants, and other research activities relevant to demonstrate student & faculty research of the accreditation standards.
- Perform other accounting, financial, or administrative tasks as may be required from time to time – quite often on short notice - by the CFO.
MINIMUM SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- A Bachelor’s degree in accounting, or a Bachelor’s degree in business with emphasis in accounting, is required.
- Degree(s) must be from a credible college or university
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in accounting is required.
- Course work in job costing is recommended.
- Must be a perfectionist by nature, with no tolerance for financial sloppiness.
- Must be highly skilled in dealing with financial and numeric data.
- Must be highly skilled in use of Excel Spreadsheets.
- Must be skilled in use of MS Word and must be a very good writer in order to handle the occasional administrative needs of the department.
- Must be highly skilled in developing financial statements/reports to assist the CFO as needed.
- Must have very good verbal communication skills.
- Must have excellent work habits, including a willingness to work the hours necessary to get the job done, especially when important deadlines cause greater than normal departmental pressures.
- Some experience in
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt. For full consideration, candidates should provide resume with at least three references. All candidates are asked to provide a cover letter, articulating how their knowledge, experience, and beliefs have prepared them to function in support of California Northstate University's vision and mission statements.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, list of references, and any additional information. Review of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
California Northstate University is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $57,280.57 - $68,983.05 per year
- 401(k) 3% Match
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
*Please mention you saw this ad on HispanicsInAcademia.*